Monday, February 4, 2008

PCS Envy

When you see friends come and go, it can be hard, but it's a part of military life. You grow accustomed to it. However, when you see people rotate out, year after year and you remain, it can be downright frustrating. Don’t get me wrong, we have been stationed elsewhere and never intended on homesteading. I know, I know—I should count my blessings.

So, what’s the problem? Won’t people give up both kidneys to homestead? Well, yes, some would. However, I LOVE to travel and I like to move. I could move every year and probably be okay with it. Well, at least years back, I could. Now, we’ve thrown a few kids into the mix, things are a tad trickier. At any rate, while my darling husband has left units, he’s stayed within the same, general (nearly specific) area for the past three tours.

My husband actually loves the way things have been going. As I've said he's been stationed elsewhere. Still, he is ok with not moving around any more. Being in one district, has allowed him to specialize, which is fantastic. He has an established work reputation and people know him. Career wise, he is benefiting from our situation. I know this, and I’ve accepted that we may never rotate out of the district. (Well, except for the fact that a little birdy with big influences may change that). Still, his rate actually may allow for him through retirement. Crazy, I know!

Part of me lives vicariously through the trials and tribulations and excitement of all of my friends and acquaintances who are jaunting around the map CONUS and OCONUS. The little voice inside me screams Take me with you! So, who has a suitcase big enough? Do you think the packers will ship me with your HHG?

No comments: