Thursday, May 1, 2008

PCS Blues

I may be coming down with the PCS blues. No, I’m not one of the many moving this year, but I’m seeing friends leave. I was feeding my children breakfast the other day and looked outside to see my neighbor across the street with those dreaded moving trucks in their driveway. Hmph…talk about bummed. I knew this day was coming, and I’ve been ignoring it. That’s what I do when something is going to happen that I’m not happy with – ignore it and maybe it won’t actually happen.

This neighbor is WONDERFUL and will be greatly missed. Our first day here, we came to our house and she invited me over for a home business party a few days later (I believe it was Partylite). I got to know her a little better and she soon became the one I went to for advice. She is a nurse and is all about informed decision-making. She and her family would have me over for dinner when my husband was away and we would have cud-de-sac cookouts in their backyard. Their kids were never short on hugs or laughs and it has been amazing to see how much they have grown up in the past two years.

She was there when I was pregnant and in the process of adopting and hormones were going wild. She was supportive when I decided that breastfeeding just wasn’t working out, when I needed to complain about being a SAHM and wanting something for myself; a constant encouragement, but always a dose of reality. She is sweet, kind, fun, smarter than anyone I know. I learned a lot from her about how to be an active mom. She and her family will be missed greatly.

As the moving trucks pulled away last night, my dogs went crazy and I went to take a look. I got a few tears in my eyes, took a deep breath, and realized that this wonderful family will no longer be my neighbor. In a couple months another couple will be moving in and new friendships will be made. There will be new memories in that house and in our little neighborhood. I cannot wait to learn more about them and what they will bring to our community.

Such is the life as a CG family. Some years we are the ones moving on and other years we are the ones left behind. Sometimes you keep in touch, sometimes not, but each time they will remain a part of you. Something will trigger a memory and you will smile or say, “I wonder how they are doing,” and say a little prayer that all is well in their world.

So, wonderful neighbor of mine, you will be missed, but I am SO thrilled for you and for this exciting next step in your lives. The future holds wonderful things for you and your family and I hope to hear all about them. And to my future neighbor, I can’t wait to meet you and hope to form a friendship with you as well. To all of us, hold tight and enjoy the ride. Don’t be afraid to take time to meet people because they will be leaving soon and you can’t stand the heartbreak. It’s worth it, trust me.

5 comments:

Just a Girl in a Port said...

I can't imagine how hard it is to watch them leave. They seem to be a pretty amazing family. Though,I have no doubt, you will keep in touch and maybe someday meet again.

(A Little) Gris Gris said...

Much harder to watch others go than it is to leave yourself. But, the CG is small enough that, rest assured, you'll meet again!

C Anderson said...

Not that I could ever fill her shoes, but I am looking forward to embracing a new friendship with you this summer. It's always so hard to say good bye, no matter how many times you have done so. Chin up. I'll be there soon :)

Mary said...

Thanks for being so sweet. We've watched so many leave Kodiak, it was really hard to be the ones leaving this time. You know I'll be in touch, and always up for a visit.

Casey Wardynski said...

I can relate, both from my time as AD USCG and growing up as an Army brat. Military life is rough for kids but they'll grow up much stronger. It teaches them how to adapt and how to make new friends, both important life skills.