Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Unsung Heroes

Please... don't fall out of your seats.  I know it's been a good while since I've posted.  I was awarded a scholarship to study Medical Transcription, and have been fully immersed in school for the last few months.  Tonight, though, I dictated something different than pathology or SOAP notes.  This dictation was related to my duties as a mom.


Subject: To Dad

I want you to be here. To come back from work at the Coast Guard.
Just come back. Until I say so.

Love,
Cxxxx
First of all, I have to say that these kids are so resilient.  They deal with weeks/months of Dad being gone, and weeks/*hopefully months* of him being home.  The adjustment that we adults face is nothing compared to their little worlds being shaken constantly.  I greatly admire their willingness to bend.  They do their best to hitch up their pants and go about their business, and sometimes do a better job at it than me.  

As a parent it is so hard to see your children hurting, but at the same time, it is nice to see the healthy reaction of wanting to talk to Dad about it.  Instead of harboring ill feelings or resentment, he'd rather let his daddy know that he misses him... Well, and that he's to come home until he's granted liberty from his offspring.  

Here's what I told my sweet boy, and what I believe completely:  Our children - not just mine and my husband's - but all military children are heroes.  My kids hold their dad in the highest regard; right up there with Batman.  He is a superhero out to help save lives and bring justice to the world.  In truth, THEY, too, are heroes.  They aren't putting their lives on the line directly, or trying to protect our coastline, or any of the number of things that our servicemen and women do daily.  No, they willingly share their parent, their mom or dad, in order to help others.  

So, whether you call yours a Coastie brat, or darling little one, I urge you to tip your hat.  The sacrifice that these little guys and gals make is a big one, and it's not to be overlooked.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I truly love this post for two reasons. My two boys say those same things all the time. "I want daddy to come home and stay for a long time". They honestly get surprised when he is home for any extended period of time. They truly are amazing individuals who are independent and full of love. Our next PCS is coming up this summer and I worry a lot about their peace of mind, but I do know that they know their daddy loves them, and he loves this country and that he will be home soon. And that is always worth celebrating.

I also loved this post because I am a Medical Transcriptionist Coastie wife and I love it. I've been doing it for almost 7 years and it is the best job! good luck with your school!

Unknown said...

That was so sweet. I just started reading this blog and so far i love it. My husband travels a lot but not as much as some others. And its been so hard on my girls. They are only 2 and 4 so they dont fully understand why Daddy has to leave