Friday, March 19, 2010

Perchance to dream, of orders

-

To be living in paradise, on the coast of somewhere beautiful, on the shores walked by Hemingway and Truman, oh what a wondrous Coast Guard day that would be. No, we did not get orders to the locale pictured here, but oh how I desired to see that on our desired destination list.


Picturesque, isn't it? Can't you just see yourself jumping into the photo? Go ahead, sink your toes into that warm, soft, white sand. Feel the cool, breeze caress your cheek as you whisk a tendril of hair away from your glazed over eyes. (And, yes, I was there--no, I didn't want to leave.)



And, yes, Virginia, there is a Coast Guard unit there....in paradise. In fact, there are many options for which someone can dream.


There are neat nautical and maritime treasures you will see as you traipse about the town.



My friends, that is Key West.

I got a little ahead of myself last summer when the man in blue referenced Key West might be an option for his dream sheet. Seriously! Woah, I was jumping up and down inside at the possibility. I researched the heck out of the school system. The man and blue and I even planned a mini-vacation/second honeymoon (of sorts) to this amazing destination before dream sheet time. We knew it was going to be one of our top places. Everything appealed to us, not to mention we have friends down there and he has traveled there for work on numerous occasions.

Sadly, we never had the opportunity for a dreamsheet this year. Yes, we were due for a rotation. PCS 2010 is our year. Still, one fateful afternoon, the man in blue received an email. "Pick your cutter, before it picks you." This was before the shopping list was even out. Yay for impending advancement, but bummer for no chance to submit a dreamsheet this time around. And, no, Key West was not an option on that list the man in blue received.



dum da dum dummmmm dummmmmmmmmmmmm

sucker punch to the stomach

stop me if you have heard my lament before



Anyhow....fast forward six months since we first received word of the man in blue's actual duty station, I'm doing okay.


The coast to which we are headed is not somewhere I've ever lived. Sure, I've visited, but to experience 24/7 for a period of up to 3 years, well, that's going to be a tad bit different. On a positive note, the man in blue and I are heading out that way to check out the area soon. We are going to try and narrow down which area appeals to us most that is in reasonable commuting distance to his new unit. He is being great about it though and really letting me focus on what I want this time. After all, he'll be underway most of the time and it'll be me and the little ones living there mostly.



I'm focusing on the beach. That's right. I'm looking for a beach area with a relaxed atmosphere. The home does not have to be pristine or upscale, but I will need a place to focus on my writing. I'm getting back to the novel. That's right, I have to. I said 5 years ago I would write it. I stopped. I let life get the better of me. I forgot me and ran fast with the rat race. I'm committed to enjoying this next home of ours and the relaxation/semi-vacation/hiatus it will bring for me. And, yes, I will still be on the coast of somewhere beautiful chillin' with my Kenny Chesney music on more often than not. :)



~~~~~~~
For a true writer each book should be a new beginning where he tries again for something that is beyond attainment. He should always try for something that has never been done or that others have tried and failed. Then sometimes, with great luck, he will succeed.

- Ernest Hemingway (who called Key West his home)

No comments: