Tuesday, December 2, 2008

News for vets. Saluting.

This may apply to some spouses who contribute to/read our blog, so I wanted to pass it along.

Today, I received this news from National Military Family's Government & You ENews:
Veterans Can Salute During National Anthem: According to a new federal law, veterans and active duty service members not in uniform can now render the military hand salute during the playing of the National Anthem. The bill was included in the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009 and signed into law on October 14th. This law expands on last year’s law that allowed veterans and service members not in uniform to render the military hand-salute during the raising, lowering, and passing of the flag.
(Source:
http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1609)

Kind of neat, huh? Alright, call me weird, but I always stand at attention when I hear the National Anthem or Colors pass. Old habits die hard I guess. I suppose onlookers (including my active duty hubby) may think, "What the heck is that lady doing? Why is she standing like that?" Clearly, I don't wear a uniform any more, and I imagine it may look strange, but now I can even salute-yip-skippee. I guess if I opt to do that (which I am unsure if I will), I may look even crazier to some. I suppose I can print this out and put it in my pocket if anyone questions me. ;)

Regardless, I thought some of you might appreciate this information. Carry on.

No comments: