Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Piracy in the 21st Century, what say you?

Today, I had the pleasure of hearing a flag officer speak and one of the subjects he touched upon was modern day piracy. I don't know about you all, but it's not something I'd ever really focused on as a concern. Sure, I've been educated in acts of terrorism, included piracy, and understand, but may not be personally fully prepared for (of course I don't sail), the risks of sailing the seas, but pirates?

I'll be honest with you, I didn't really follow the latest and greatest news on the piracy case. I only know bits and pieces. Sorry, I've been a tad preoccupied.

At any rate, the whole act seems so archaic or does it? Maybe that's why pirates are still successful. Folks underestimate the potential for pirates to overtake their vessel and/or take their lives and materials. Why is that the case?

I'd interested to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Also, be sure to check out Rear Admiral William Baumgartner's recent speech on the subject as he spoke on "International Piracy on the High Seas" before the Subcommittee on Coast Guard & Maritime Transportation, Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure, U. S. House of Reprsentatives on February 4, 2009.

No comments: