Monday, November 16, 2009

Gone but not Forgotten: Scholarship established in memory of USCG Helo 1363

On December 22, 1964 Coast Guard Helo 1363 went down near Trinidad Head in far Northern California while actively engaged in SAR during the devastating flood of '64. Three crew members were lost in the crash, including AE2 J. A. Nininger. Forty-five years later, the son of Petty Officer Nininger, David Wells, has started a memorial scholarship for Coast Guardsmen, their children and others who aspire to attend Humboldt State University.

The men onboard CG 1363 lost their lives trying to save others. It is a sad reality that we lose guardians all too often, but it is stories like this that remind us that no matter how distant the memory they are never forgotten.

2 comments:

Just a Girl in a Port said...

That's wonderful news to read. What a great way to honor his father.

Anonymous said...

My family and I were the 5 people
that were rescued from Cockrobin Island by CG-1363,shortly before it crashed.I really wish I could meet Mr. Wells,If it was'nt for his dad I would'nt be here today.
I've been trying to get pics and documents pertaining to this incident,I have a good start on it,but imformation has been very hard to get. Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Martin Jacobsen