Saturday, April 24, 2010

PCS purging

Anyone who knows me, knows that I keep stuff. No, I really keep a lot of stuff. Before you sign me up to be on Hoarders, let me have my say. I still may not win your approval, but at least you don't have to live with me, right?

As a little girl, the habit started. My mother would have to toss things without my being around so I didn't try to bring it back from the garbage or rescue it from a yard sale or worse abscond with something that might become a hand-me-down. It's psychological--I'm quite aware of that. Boy, the fun theories I could use to describe my psyche. Psych and sociology classes in college, well, they helped to put a lot in perspective. Anyway....

I have an attachment to things. I love the memories that come along with a sweet little picture faded with time of my great-grandmother, even if I have 10 copies of the same picture. I can't bear to throw it out. That's like tossing her away, in a warped way. *shhhh* I swear, I'm not crazy.

I have letters from old boyfriends in high school tucked away in a self-loving scrapbook that's seen better days. I have worn dog tags and mixed tapes from days gone by. Maybe I don't take this stuff out all too often, and they sure aren't items of daily use, but they are me.

I moved as a kid a few times and we weren't a military family. I found that keeping memories of each place helped me to ease into the transition. I still had a little bit of my old home and old me to keep in the new place. The problem is, as you grow, you accumulate a lot of stuff. And, with each military move or other move, you weigh more as you move. So, learning to part with old things to make way for new experiences can be good. It's cleansing. It's healthy.

Today, as I rummaged through much of my basement in an effort to purge, I did okay. I fared better than I have in the past. I did keep a lot but I also disposed of many items. I know this was good. How do I know? Because, the man in blue smiled. He cringes at my "saving" and "keeping of items to cherish". He smiles when we purge.

The man in blue, you see, is a tosser. He tosses everything, from pictures, to trophies, to a hat he purchased 6 months ago and still is brand new. He has no attachment issues. Yay for him. Well, hooray for me too, I suppose. Theoretically, if he gets rid of everything, then it's okay for me to keep more stuff.

Ah, yes, there is the logic for today's purging discussion. Alright, I'm off for now. I have a child to go pick up from a birthday party and two others who need dinner. Hope you are having a great weekend so far friendly readers.

3 comments:

JulieAnn said...

I'm glad not the only one!I'm totally with you about "throwing away Grandma", something that my DH doesn't understand. I'm getting a lot better, as we PCS often, but still have a way to go to catch up to my DH.

C Anderson said...

As my husband and I went through items this past week, he asked, "So, why do we have all these extra curtains and lamp shades." After rolling my eyes, I had to remind him that to this day, 15 years after my fathers retirement, my mom still HAS every curtain that *may* be needed to fit a certain window in whichever new home he moved her to every couple of years [with the Army]. DH stopped asking questions after that. His logic: if my dad had not won that battle with my mom, he would not win with me either.

C Anderson said...

As my husband and I went through items this past week, he asked, "So, why do we have all these extra curtains and lamp shades." After rolling my eyes, I had to remind him that to this day, 15 years after my fathers retirement, my mom still HAS every curtain that *may* be needed to fit a certain window in whichever new home he moved her to every couple of years [with the Army]. DH stopped asking questions after that. His logic: if my dad had not won that battle with my mom, he would not win with me either.